Thursday, June 23, 2011

Candlestick Pedestal Plate

I LOVE pedestal plates!! They dress up a table or buffet wonderfully at a party and when they're not showing off tasty hors d'oeuvres I use them for decoration. I'm usually a sucker for a great cake plate although they can be expensive. I don't like expensive. And then I came across this idea for a cupcake stand on a blog I love called Love Stitched. I liked the idea, but had a plate instead and I think it turned out pretty good!


There are so many things I love about these pedestal dishes! You can easily find the things you need at a thrift store or yard sale which, for me, adds to the excitement because I love a bargain. They're easy, inexpensive, and handmade. Talk about a great gift idea! Here's how to make your own:



Supplies (get ready, it's complicated):
  • A plate
  • A candle stick or small vase (a glass could work too)
  • Strong glue, like Gorilla Glue or Super glue for crafts


Still with me? Some tips on the plate... Some plates have a raised ring on the bottom of them which helps in a lot of ways. For one, it can help you find the center of the plate so your dish ends up level. It can also help as extra material for the glue to stick to for added stability. Just make sure the lip of your candlestick or vase fits around it either on the inside or the outside of the ring.
 

Your candlestick or vase should be rather short unless it's a sturdy glass (like my pic with the green plate and milk glass cup). The pedestal dish pictured above is on a candlestick, only about 3 inches tall.  You'll just have to play with your "pedestal" for different looks or to see if using it upside-down provides more stability.

Wash and completely dry the plate and the candlestick. Follow the directions on your strong craft glue and glue the candlestick/vase to the bottom of your plate. When the glue is completely dry, wash it all as one piece and it's ready to use!! Lovely!




No comments:

Post a Comment